Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA)
The buzzword across the globe for the 21st century is 'Innovation'. Innovation could be defined
as converting ideas into new or improved products, processes and services. Undoubtedly,
Innovation is about taking inventions to marketplace by translating scientific knowledge into
products, services and offerings for economic growth and social development. India has already
been improving on global stage in terms of Innovation ranking from 86th place, 5 years ago, to
57th place this year. For India to emerge as a global innovation hub, the youth of our country,
especially in higher education institutions (HEIs) need to play a crucial role to create a
sustainable innovation ecosystem. Hence, ideally all HEIs should have a comprehensive and
functional mechanism to convert research into innovations. This ecosystem will encourage,
inspire and nurture young students by exposing them to new ideas and processes resulting in
innovative activities in their formative years. Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation
Achievements (ARIIA) is an initiative of Ministry of Education (MoE), Govt. of India to
systematically rank all major higher educational institutions and universities in India on
indicators related to "Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development" amongst students and
faculties. ARIIA ranking will certainly inspire Indian institutions to reorient their mind-set and
build ecosystems to encourage high quality research, innovation and entrepreneurship. More than
quantity, ARIIA will focus on quality of innovations and will try to measure the real impact
created by these innovations nationally and internationally. Moreover, ARIIA will set tone and
direction for institutions for future development for making them globally competitive and in
forefront of innovation .
Major Indicators for consideration:
- Budget & Funding Support.
- Infrastructure & Facilities.
- Awareness, Promotions & support for Idea Generation & Innovation.
- Promotion & Support for Entrepreneurship Development.
- Innovative Learning Methods & Courses.
- Intellectual Property Generation, Technology Transfer & Commercialization.
- Innovation in Governance of the Institution.
Developing an Innovative and Entrepreneurial Mind-set through Series of Activities
1. Number of co-curricular events related to Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I & E) conducted by the HEI
2. Number of co-curricular events related to I&E organized by external organizations where student's/faculty members of
HEI were sent to participate/represent.
3. Number of awards won by the student and faculty innovations at State/National/International Level in I & E related events
TEACHING AND LEARNING:
Teaching and Learning: Academic Programmes related to Innovation & Entrepreneurship (I & E) & IPR offered by the HEI
1. Number of full-fledged programmes/courses in Innovation / Entrepreneurship / Intellectual Property offered by the HEI
(Diploma/ UG/ PG/ PhD)
2. Number of short-term Certificate courses or Elective group(s)/ Major or Minor Specializations / Core Credit courses offered by
the HEI in Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I & E) of minimum 30 contact hours of duration.
3. Number of I & E related MDP, EDP, FDP, Employment Generation Skill Development Programs conducted by HEI (Approved by
Regulatory bodies of HEIs or other State and Central government agencies) of minimum 30 contact hours of duration
4. Number of full-time faculty who have completed any specialized training programme of I & E (MDP, EDP, FDP, Certificate
course of minimum 30 contact hours of duration) conducted by State and Central government agencies (for example AICTE,
MIC, Ministry of MSME etc.), knowledge agencies etc.
5. Number of entrepreneurial skill development/employment generating training programmes conducted by the HEI for external
participants (local residents, community members, alumni )
6. Number of full-time faculty with a degree (UG/PG/PhD) in entrepreneurship/innovation/ IPR and(or) received training on I&E,
INFRASTRUCTURE & FACILITIES:
Dedicated Infrastructure & Facilities to Promote Innovation & Entrepreneurship at HEI
1. Number of active Ideas/ Innovation centric Student Clubs in the HEI with access to co-working space/ work-stations with
facilities & equipment available for I & E activities
2. Existence of dedicated infrastructures and facilities at HEI to support Innovation, Entrepreneurship and IPR
3. Existence of Pre-incubation centres such as Tinker Lab/ EDC/ IEDC/ New Gen IEDC/ etc. with minimum space of 600 sq.ft. floor
4. Existence of Incubation Unit with minimum space of 1500 sq. ft. floor area
5. Existence of Research Park/Innovation Park with minimum Space of 5000 sq. ft. Floor area.
6. Existence of Centre of Excellence with Advance Tools & Equipment with minimum space of 1000 Sq. ft.
7. Existence of IPR Cell / Patent Facilitation Unit / Technology Transfer Centre at the institute.
8. Number of dedicated staff to oversee I & E activities under the leadership of a senior professor/Head of the institute
9. Number of empanelled external experts/ agencies for mentorship regarding IPR, innovation development and enterprise
10. Number of faculty members/ staff of the HEI deputed on committees of other HEIs to mentor and support the establishment
of their I & E eco-system
Generation of Innovations/ ideas with the support of HEI and recognition received
1. Number of Innovations TRL 0-3 and/or Number of non-technical Innovations (scouted and evaluated) registered with
the departments of HEI/ pre incubation/Incubation centre
2. Number of Innovations TRL 4-6
3. Number of Innovations TRL 7-9
4. Number of ideas or innovative projects implemented in the community/Social Innovations
5. Number of ideas or innovative projects/TRLs/Social Innovations implemented with financial support from HEIs.
6. Number of awards won by the student and faculty innovations at State/National/International Level in I & E related events
Ventures Established with the support of the HEI & Recognitions Received
1. Number of Start-ups with CIN / Entrepreneurial Ventures with at least GST number started by students/faculties/ Staff/Alumni
and facilitated by HEI/EDC/ Pre-incubation/ Incubation/ Research Park etc.
2. Number of Start-ups with CIN /Entrepreneurial Ventures with GST number started by the external beneficiaries (i.e.excluding
Student, Faculty & Staff) who had received Employment Generating Skill Training Program conducted by the HEI/EDC/
3. Number of Faculty as Founder or Co-Founder with DIN.
4. Number of Start-ups with Annual Turnover of Rs. 50 Lakhs or 10 employees
COLLABORATION AND INVESTMENT:
Angel &VC Fund/Investment Mobilized to Support Innovation & Startups Incubated at HEI + Promotion of Collaboration for & Co-Creation of I & E initiatives:
1. Total amount raised by innovators pre-Incubated/incubated at HEI from Angel/VC Fund/High Net worth Individual (HNI).
2. Total amount raised by Start-ups incubated at HEI from Angel /VC Fund /High Net worth Individual (HNI).
3. Total amount of Credit/Loans from Financial Institutions that was facilitated by HEI for innovators/start-ups.
4. Number of Collaborations with incubation units outside the HEI either to provide OR receive Incubation Support.
5. Number of Collaborations with other HEIs as mentor/ mentee Institute to promote I&E in the Campus.
6. Number of Collaborations with start-ups /Industry Associations /Knowledge Agencies to promote I & E activities and/
or internship opportunities
IP & COMMERCIALIZATION:
Intellectual Property (IP), Generation and Commercialization
1. Number of research papers published (Student/Faculty) with Keywords -Innovation, and Entrepreneurship in Scopus
journals during the year.
2. Number of Copyrights/Designs- Applied during the year.
3. Number of Patents Filed & Published during the year.
4. Number of Patents Granted (last 3 Years)
5. Number of Patents held by Pre-Incubated Innovations/Incubated Startups (last 3 years).
6. Number of IPs Commercialized/ Technology Transferred during the year.
EXPENSES & REVENUE:
Annual Budget on Promoting and Supporting I&E Activities: Total expenses towards I &E and IPR support activities + Total Revenue Generated by HEI from Incubation Services to Startups and Commercialization of IP and Innovations
1. Amount spent on events conducted.
2. Amount spent on student/faculty participation in events conducted by external organizations.
3. Expenses incurred in the establishment, maintenance and operation of Pre-Incubation and/or Incubation infrastructure
(capital expenditure + operational expenditure).
4. Total seed fund/grant disbursed by HEI to innovation/ entrepreneurial ventures.
5. Total seed fund/grant disbursed by HEI to innovation/ entrepreneurial ventures.
6. Total Seed Fund/Grant received from external sources disbursed to Start-ups
7. Total grant/funds received from authentic sources such as Govt, Non Govt, CSR bodies etc. towards promoting and
supporting innovation, IPR, Start-ups and pre-incubation/incubation activities in the campus
8. Total revenue from Incubation Services offered by HEI to Start-ups/innovators (training and skill + mentoring + office
space and rent). It excludes fees earned for offering general consulting services offered and training conducted by HEIs
9. Total revenue generated from commercialization/Licensing of IPs owned by HEIs (It exclude IP commercialization made
by incubated start-ups/ Innovators)
INITIATIVES OF MOE:
Participation of HEI in I & E Initiative of MOE:
1. Adopted National Innovation and Start-up Policy at the HEI.
2. Establishment of Institution's Innovation Council (IIC) at HEI.
3. Trained Innovation Ambassadors at HEI.
4. Participation in Smart India Hackathon (SIH).
5. Facilitated Registration of Start-ups/ Technologies developed from HEIs in YUKTI 2.0 (Young India combating
COVID with Knowledge, Technology and Innovation) of MIC.
6. Participation of Students from the HEI in National Education Alliance of Technology (NEAT) courses.